Thank you for your interest in the City of Dryden. We are an equal-opportunity employer that encourages applications from all qualified individuals. To apply for any of our job opportunities, you must submit your application through our online application submission portal, below. You can view step-by-step instructions in the "How to Apply for Job Postings" section. If you have any questions or experience difficulty in submitting an application, please contact the Human Resources Manager at 807-223-1119.
Junior Planner (Intern)
|Open Date||Apr 27 2021 - 09:30:00 AM||Close Date||May 18 2021 - 04:00:00 PM|
|Position Title||Junior Planner (Intern)||Posting Type||Intern|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||One year with potential for extension|
|Department Group||Junion Planner||Hours per Week||35.0|
|Department||Building and Planning||Openings||1|
|Education||Certification or Diploma||Company||City of Dryden|
|Salary Range||$26.00 - $28.00 per hour|
City of Dryden - Junior Planner (Intern)
(One-Year Contract with potential One-Year Extension)
An excellent Internship opportunity awaits you at the City of Dryden, Ontario. If you want to start your new career in a community that offers great outdoor recreation options and a great quality of life with all the amenities, then this is the job for you. The City of Dryden is located approximately equal distance between Thunder Bay, Ontario and Winnipeg, Manitoba on the Trans Canada Highway in Northwestern Ontario.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, qualified, self-motivated Intern to join our Building and Planning Department for a one (1) year term with a potential one-year extension contingent upon Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) approval. The Intern will assist and support the Chief Building Official with:
- Municipal land use planning and zoning, resource management planning and environmental studies/assessments. Reviews and processes documentation submitted regarding re-zoning, development, site plan control, minor variance and consent applications.
- Active involvement in The City of Dryden’s Official Plan amendment and Zoning By-law update will be a major part of this position. This involves reviewing municipal lands for correct zoning to facilitate investment readiness and growth as potentially affected by the Adaptive Phased Management Project of the Nuclear Waste Management Organization.
- Preparing planning related reports for presentation to Council and the public. Responding to Compliance zoning reviews for a variety of corporate processes including site plan, real estate inquiries and business licenses.
- Reviews and prepares comments on both variances and consent applications and represents the City at the Committee of Adjustment.
- Assisting the Building and Planning Department with administrative duties such as maintenance of files and databases and website updates as required. Provides frontline general planning and zoning information verbally and in writing via customer service at the planning counter.
- Training to be provided as necessary but at minimum provision of the Primer on Planning course and Ontario Association of Committees of Adjustment will be provided.
- University or College graduates who have graduated within the last three (3) years from an accredited college or university. Candidates must be graduates of post-secondary degree or diploma programs.
- The position must provide the intern with first-time employment in their field of study.
- Candidates are only eligible to participate in this internship program one-time.
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Diploma in planning technology or equivalent experience in municipal administration, urban, sustainable, or environmental planning. New graduates with vested interest in Municipal planning encouraged.
- Diploma in planning technology or equivalent experience in municipal administration, urban, sustainable or environmental planning. New graduates with vested interest in Municipal planning encouraged.
- Proven ability to effectively interact with the public and other varied and key stakeholders.
- Strong organization, problem-solving and critical thinking and inquiry skills.
- Strong presentation skills and abilities.
- Familiarity with computer applications (e.g., word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation applications). Knowledge of information tracking database software (GIS) would be an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Ontario Planning Act, relevant Municipal By-Laws and all other pertinent legislation. General Understanding of the Ontario Building Code considered an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Wage: $26.00 - $28.00 per hour, 35 hours per week to commensurate with qualifications, benefits as per the Employment Standards Act.
Projected Start Date: As soon as possible for 12 months with a potential one-year extension.
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter and detailed resume outlining experience and qualifications by 4:00 p.m. CDT, Tuesday, May 18th, 2021, by e-mail to email@example.com , faxed to (807) 223-6141, or mailed/couriered to Human Resources Department, City of Dryden, 30 Van Horne Ave., Dryden, ON P8N 2A7.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal Information is collected pursuant to the Municipal Act, 2001, and will be used for the purpose of determining eligibility for employment. Questions with respect to the collection of personal information should be addressed to the Freedom of Information and Privacy Coordinator, City of Dryden, 30 Van Horne Avenue, Dryden, ON P8N 2A7 or via telephone contact at (807) 223-1125.
The City of Dryden is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.
Accommodations of persons with disabilities are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants need to make their required accommodations known in advance to the Manager of Human Resources or designate.